Saturday, April 5, 2014

What a Surprise, Kinder Surprise!

Last night I had a craving for Kinder brand chocolate. I think they're called Kinder Chocolate Sticks. Bob couldn't find any at Target, so he bought me 6 Kinder Surprise eggs. They were so delicious, I gobbled down 4 eggs at once. I haven't touched the other 2 yet since it's just morning, but they'll be eaten today at some point.

Of course, I never bothered to look at the "surprise" inside. I just tossed it to the side. I'll put them in Tesla's closet and give them to her to put together in a couple of years, I thought. But out of curiosity, I decided to crack them open just to see what was inside. Three of them were some sort of car and one of them was a paper ball that you blow up. It was made to look like a monster.

At first I thought, what are the odds of getting 3 cars? That's weird. Back in the day I remember getting all sorts of different toys, especially little figurines of things, usually animals or people. That's when it hit me. When Kinder Surprise came out with Kinder eggs just for girls, they must have decided that the original Kinder Surprise should now be just for boys. It all makes sense.

I don't remember seeing any marketing promoting the original as just for boys. I just remember them promoting their stupid girly Kinder Surprises. I assumed the original would just be gender neutral as always and the girl one would be overtly girly and disgustingly pink. But now the original seems very limited and boyish to me.

After doing some reading about the issue, (people have sent petitions asking the company to revert back to offering gender neutral toys and original labeling,) I saw that Ferrero, the company that produces the eggs, said that they did a survey asking parents if "pink" and "blue" eggs were a good idea and 66% said yes. They're just giving the people what they want.

It bothers me so many people agree with gender stereotyping, but what can you do, right? Throw the toy out and eat the chocolate, I guess. I'd rather deal with this then the racist toys you could get in Kinder Surprise. (Hopefully those have all been phased out by now.)

*EDIT*
For the record, the other two Kinder Surprises were a gorilla and a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment